Over the weekend my friends and I visited two different historical cities within 2 hours of Madrid: Segovia and Ávila.
Segovia predates Christ, and was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1985, most specifically for its immensely impressive Roman aqueduct. To date the aqueduct remains the most well-preserved of all those still standing. The pictures simply do not do it justice.
Also of note in Segovia is the Alcazar of Segovia and the Segovia Cathedral. the Alcazar (royal palace) was home to Henry IV and Isabella the Catholic before she left him to be crowned Queen of Castile. Although it was destroyed by fire in 1862, it was rebuilt stone for stone.
The Segovia Cathedral is the last Gothic-style cathedral constructed in Spain and is breathtaking inside and out.
Saturday we went to Ávila, well-known for las murallas, the medieval, romanesque walls largely still intact since their completion in 1099. Fun fact: las murallas are the single largest fully illuminated monument in the world. Though it was a lot of climbing, it was worth the 2.50 euro to see the view from the top!
Sunday I got to sleep in (finally!) before joining my host family for a party with our neighbors. They made paella from scratch (YUM), laughed at my attempts to peel the skin off shrimp and taught me how to make Sangria!
This week I've got midterm exams for Session 1 classes (can you believe it?!) and then we're off to Asturias (Northern coast of Spain) this weekend! More pictures on Facebook.
Thanks for reading!
-Evan


I just got caught up to your posts and travels! I'm extremely happy for you and very jealous. Mostly of that paella! Keep writing and good luck on your midterms if you haven't taken them already! Much love!
ReplyDelete